Prep time: 10 mins | Cook time: 50 mins | Total time: 1 hour
6 cups vegetable broth
3 TB olive oil (2 + 1)
8 oz sliced white mushrooms
3.2 oz package of shiitake mushrooms
2 shallots, diced
1 1/2 Cups Arborio rice (specifically for risotto)
1/2 Cup dry white wine
2 TB vegan margarine
3 TB chopped chives
1 tsp salt (+ whatever you want to taste)
1 tsp chopped fresh basil
1/2 tsp chopped fresh parsley
1. In a saucepan, warm the vegetable broth over low heat.
2. Put 2 TB olive oil in a large fry pan or pot over medium-high heat. Chop all the mushrooms, stir into oil and cook until soft, about 3 minutes.
Remove mushrooms and set aside.
3. Lower heat to medium on pan and add the remaining 1 TB of olive oil. Stir in the shallots and cook 1 minute. Add the rice, stir to coat with oil, about 2 minutes until it has taken on a pale, golden color. Pour in wine, stirring constantly until the wine is fully absorbed.
4. Add 1/2 cup of the broth to the rice and stir until it is absorbed. Continue adding broth 1/2 cup at a time, stirring continuously, until the liquid is absorbed. This will take about 40-45 minutes, total.
5. As the last of the liquid is being absorbed, add the salt, basil, parsley and margarine. Stir in the mushrooms and liquid (if any).
Let it all absorb and serve.