• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• ¼ teaspoon baking powder
• ½ teaspoon baking soda
• ½ teaspoon ground cloves
• ½ teaspoon cinnamon
• ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
• ½ cup white sugar + ½ cup brown sugar
• 6 TB unsalted butter, softened
• 1 large egg
• 7.5 oz. (half a can) 100% pumpkin puree
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease and dust a 9×9” square baking pan. I used a glass pan to get a more even bake.
2. Combine flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and spices in a bowl; use a whisk to mix well and set aside.
3. In large bowl beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer at medium speed until just blended. Add egg and continue beating until very light and fluffy, for several minutes. Beat in pumpkin.
4. At a low speed, beat in flour mixture until combined.
5. Turn batter into prepared baking dish. It will be thick, so you’ll have to spread evenly with a spatula until the batter is just next to the sides of the pan, but not touching them. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until toothpick or knife inserted in center comes out clean (check after 30). Let cool in pan about 15 minutes before cutting.
Notes: Double recipe for a 13×9 pan, and bake 30-35 minutes.